Hi all. My 8 year old has major anxiety when it comes to thunderstorms, she will hide in the closet or bathroom for hours even after the storm has passed. She has also started to shake when in the car, still loves going in it and having her head out of the window...but her little legs just shake the entire time. It all seems to be getting worse as she ages.
What are some of your anxiety remedies? I would rather not have her on Prozac and I've tried "Pet Calm" which doesn't help much. Not sure what else out there works. Any suggestions would be helpful!!!!
Dysis and I thank you in advance :-)
Be the first person to like this
Bruno & Luna
My adult pit had the same problem. He would work himself up shaking And vomit from hyperventilating. One vet gave me Ativan to give him for the storms which just made him super groggy but another vet suggested giving him his favorite toy and treat during the storms; it actually worked. He still shakes a little but once I give him his Favorite bone and blanket he calms down.. Hope this helps
Nikki and Dysis
Oh no! I hope she doesn't start getting that bad, I have had to start making her go poop before she gets in my car or chances are she will go in the car... I will have to ask my vet for some suggestions, I have tried giving her treats and her favorite bone but she turns her nose up to them. So most of the time I just let her be in her room aka the closet until she's ready. I also might try a thunder blanket my friend said that helped with her American Bulldog. I don't know, I just feel so bad for her! Thanks for the suggestion though!
Neketa & Bleu
My 6yr old has MAJOR issues when it rains, i actually invested in a "Thunder Shirt" (can be purchased @ PetCo/ Pet Smart) & it works wonders!!! It took about 2 tries b4 i saw a difference, but now when it rains, he actually goes & sits by it & waits for me to put it on him. Good Luck
Nikki and Dysis
Thanks for the suggestion. My friend uses one for her American Bulldog so I was considering it. Glad to hear it works for someone else as well, I will have to try it.